Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Scout update for 1/15/08

Scout is hanging in there. My vet (Dr. McNabb, the senior vet at the clinic I've been taking Scout to, who just today became acquainted with Scout's case. Dr. Angie apparently moved to Bend over the weekend!) thinks he might have a clue what's wrong with her. Since she first went in with a lame leg, he wonders if a localized injury to her joint didn't cause systemic infection. The problem is, figuring out if it's a bacterial infection or an autoimmune response. If she's not a lot better tomorrow on the new antibiotic, I'll take her in and we'll explore the auto-immune response option. Both are very treatable.

She threw up lots yesterday and ran a pretty high fever, but we switched her antibiotics last night and she seems better today(although she's running a fever now at 5 p.m.) She still won't eat, drink or move on her own accord, but she's kept down the liquids I've given her.

I did talk to Kris last night, who urged me to go see a vet friend of hers at an animal hospital across town. But icy roads made the trip impossible this morning (Greg left me with the Miata) and then I heard back from Dr. McNabb (who seemed to have a reasonable plan), so I'm just staying the course with East Hills Veterinary clinic for now.

So, I'd hoped to join Greg at Cannon Beach tomorrow, but who knows?

Someone--obviously not an animal person--said to me today: "I just don't understand why this has affected you so deeply . . . I could give you a suggestion as to what to do with your dog, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it . . ."

He's right, I didn't. And I want to thank you all again for the comfort and encouragement you've shown me and my poor pooch. I can feel the prayers!

No comments: