Sunday, January 13, 2008

Scout Update 1/13/08

Brought Scout home from the vet clinic yesterday afternoon--they are closed Sat. eve and Sunday. Dr. Angie still seems distraught about Scout's condition, although her fever did drop from 104.5 when I brought her in to 102.3 when I picked her up. Just in response to the new antibiotic, which is a good sign. But she stil has no clue as to what's ailing my pup. Today she tossed out the dog flu or Nile virus, but she wasn't at all convinced. Personally, I think it's Lyme disease. If that's true, she should eventually respond to the antibiotics she's taking.


She's just worried about Scout getting dehydrated over the weekend, because she's still refusing to eat or drink and the fever dries her up so quickly.

"But don't give up on her," Dr. Angie tells me with a look of desperation in her eyes. "Stay the course, stick with her . . . you are doing a good job nursing her at home."

She explains how to put baby food on the roof of Scout's mouth so she'll swallow it. Advises me to squirt 16 to 20 ounces of fluid down her a day (that's a lot of work, by the way!).

So today is going to be a rough day for Scout. No IV rehydration, antibiotics crammed down her throat 2x a day, making her even more naseous. And I will be forcing food and drink down my sad little pup every time I walk by her. I'm determined to "stay the course," but Scout just seems so very tired. She's been fighting whatever this is for 10 days now, with little relief.

Thanks for your continued prayers on our behalf!

No comments: