Monday, January 14, 2008

Scout update 1/14/08

Well, Scout survived the weekend. In fact, yesterday she actually barked when she heard us come in from church. Greg said she sounded more like a chihuahua than a sheltie, but we hadn't heard any sound from her for a very long time so we were encouraged. She shuffled around the house for a bit and even tried (unsuccessfully) to follow me up the stairs. I got her to swallow 1/2 jar of baby food, some yogurt and lots of liquids.
But last night, the fever came back with a vengeance. I don't have a thermometer, but she was shaking so violently I gave her some baby aspirin (if you recall, the vet wanted to avoid anti-inflamatories and let the "fever do its work"). She just seemed so worn out.
I faxed all her records to Kris B.,another vet last night (she goes to our church and 3 people in two days told me to contact her, so I figured it must be a god thing). Praying that she can piece together the lab work results and get a clear picture of what's going on with Scout.
Scout is very weak and lethargic this morning, like she has been for the past week, but definitely not dehydrated. I was supposed to leave for Cannon Beach today with Greg--to go and work on the couples' retreat we are doing the end of this month--but Scout is too sick to leave and we can't take her. So, I'll just keep nursing her as best I can and pray that Kris can make sense of the lab work.
Sometimes I wonder if the humane thing to do would be to have Scout put out of her misery . . . but as long as she's not in pain and taking food and liquids, I feel like I'm supposed to keep hanging in there with her. What if it's just the "dog flu" and it's just taking her body a while to recover? Who knew it would be such a lengthy battle . . .
Thanks again, my friends, for all your prayers and comfort and support.

No comments: