Friday, January 18, 2008

Scout update 1/18/08 Turnaround????
















I see glimpses of my old spazzy Scout today! Prednisone (and prayer, of course) has worked wonders in my little dog. She's eating, we took a short walk today, no fever in 48 hours. If all goes well, she doesn't have to go back to the clinic for a week, when they'll do a blood test to see how her white blood cell count is.

Diagnosis? Well, certainly an auto-immune response condition. The vet couldn't decide between polyarthritis or steroid-responsive meningitis. Her neck has been very tender since yesterday--she woke me up in the night crying with pain because she'd changed positions--which could signify meningitis. But the neck joint pain could just be part of the polyarthritis. She's not limping at all today, however, so I'm kind of leaning toward the diagnosis of meningitis. According the Dr. McNabb (and all the reading I did on the internet when I couldn't sleep last night), the treatment and prognosis is pretty much the same. INitial aggressive prednisone doses, with a gradual weaning off the steroid.

I don't know that she's out of the woods yet--but Scout is definitely up and moving! It would be a miracle for her to be healthy enough to join us on our snow shoe in two weeks--but I guess that's another miracle we can pray for!

Again, your prayers and encouragement carried us through this very tough time. The vet tech told me today that they were sure Scout would have to be put down at one point . . . but she's a fighter! And the Lord must not be through with her yet!

3 comments:

karen said...

YEAH!!!! I am so glad she is up and about. It may be a long road back but she will fight her way there. I'm so glad you didn't give up. Maybe God was teaching a little perseverance and faith. I will continue to pray for her to recover fully.
Karen Porter

Anonymous said...

Hi Shawn, I'm so glad Scout is showing improvement. Our pets are almost like our children except that children can tell you where it hurts. I've had a couple bouts with one of my doxie's over the past month and know what a worry they are. I'll keep Scout in my prayers as well as you. Blessings, Karen W.

Tyson and Kate said...

Tyson and I are still praying for Scout! He even prayed for her in his dinner prayer at my in-laws this weekend. :) When they asked who Scout was, he said, "Yeah, she's sick, but we pray for that dog all the time!" We're looking forward to hearing that she's all better!!