Thursday, February 14, 2008

Scout update 2/14/08



Happy Valentines Day to you all!
Scout is doing great on this second attempt to wean her off prednisone. She struggled the first two days, then I saw Kris B. (my vet friend from church) and she said sometimes the weaning has to happen in very small increments--like cutting the dose down by an 1/8 of a tablet.
So that night, I added just a sliver to the 1/2 tablet I was giving Scout and it made all the difference. She's acting almost back to "normal" (which Scout never was, so it's kind of hard to tell :). I haven't given her any pain meds the past two days, have taken her on short walks . . . and she seems to be doing great.
I'm seeing a new vet on Monday. She's the one recommended by Kris B. and we talked at length on the phone yesterday about the prednisone weaning process. She seems to have to good grasp on immune mediated illnesses and predisone treatment, although she admitted she's never treated a dog with Scout's condition (I've yet to talk to a vet who has). So Scout is out of the woods and I'm excited to have someone walk me through the process of getting her off the meds and keeping her healthy. I just have lots of questions like: Can I still give her flea medicine? What about Vaccinations? How can I prevent relapse? How hard can I exercise her . . .

I definitely feel we are on the road to recovery!

No comments: